Gleaning Farm-Fresh Food For Those in Need
Reducing Food Waste and Food Insecurity
A Project of the Foodshed Alliance
LocalShare is a program of the Foodshed Alliance, a grassroots, non-profit devoted to promoting sustainable farming and locally grown, fresh, healthy food in northwestern New Jersey. It is a 501c3 tax exempt, nonprofit organization.
The Foodshed Alliance was founded on the belief that the future of our health, our land, and our communities depends, to great extent, on the existence of local farms–that farmers are the keystone to our connection with our food, the land and our sense of place.
It is this conviction that drives us to work, with farmers, consumers, and agricultural professionals to foster a self-sustaining “foodshed” that supports farmers, nourishes people, respects the land, and strengthens our communities.
The goals of the Foodshed Alliance is to foster Healthy Land, Healthy Food and Healthy Communities. To do this, we:
- Promote a robust farm economy in northwest New Jersey through local efforts and regional collaborations.
- Develop programs that contribute to the sustainability of local farms.
- Raise people’s awareness about the value of locally-grown food and farming.
- Demonstrate how farming and food is an integral part of our health, our economy, our communities, and the environment.
- Encourage and support farming practices that respect and replenish the land and its natural ecosystems while producing healthy food.
- Contribute to the development of a regional network of farmers, consumers, and agricultural professionals devoted to building a local food system. Serve as a clearinghouse for the information, resources, and services provided by this community.
- Advance agriculture as a way of preserving our rural landscapes and hindering their destruction by the spread of sprawl.